Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Windows Backups over VPN

2009-08-22 13:18:09
Subject: [Bacula-users] Windows Backups over VPN
From: rjustinwilliams AT gmail DOT com
To: Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 17:14:00 +0000
Holy smokes what an adventure!!

Here's the software I am using for this:
I had bacula 2.4.4 running on my Mac, which I am using as my director and as my storage daemon (I have an external USB drive sticking off of it just for backups).
VPN, I am using OpenVPN, and, for grins, I downloaded OpenVPNGUI for my windows box.
Initially I installed the latest windows 32-bit client, which is 3.0.
Once I got the VPN connection set up, I installed the Bacula client for Windows. Pretty much a click and accept, then paste the authentication code into the director's configs.

With client 3.0, I got an error of HELO refused. Did some digging and saw that somebody else had run into issues with version deltas. Uninstalled Bacula3.0 and Installed Bacula 2.4.4. That cleared that HELO hurdle and the file daemon would then accept connections from the director.

The next problem was that the file daemon had no idea where the storage daemon was, which necessitated editing Windows XP's hosts file to point it in the right direction (to the VPN IP). XP stores its hosts file in an odd location, which makes things a little more ticklish. I found it on my machine in C:\Windows\Windows32\Drivers\etc. Used to be in the base system folder, but, I guess it moved....

Anyway, with those things set up and in place, I am very happy to say that I have Bacula running automated backups from a Mac director, with both unix and windows clients, across a VPN!