Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Advice needed on Linux backup strategy to LTO-4 tape

2009-08-13 11:51:37
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Advice needed on Linux backup strategy to LTO-4 tape
From: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
To: Ralf Gross <Ralf-Lists AT ralfgross DOT de>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 16:48:10 +0100 (BST)
On Thu, 13 Aug 2009, Ralf Gross wrote:

> I just had a bunch of 40 LTO-4 tapes that had problems during backups
> (or worse -  only during the verify job afterwards). All from the same
> production date. So my trust in tapes is not that good anymore...

What do the SMART stats from those tapes look like?

LTO has separate read and write heads.

The technology verifies what's been written a few ms after it's been
written and the drive will rewrite any data blocks it decides has
uncorrectable errors in.

If the SMART stats look ok then the problem is likely your HBA or f/c
interfaces (too short a FC cable can cause all sorts of wierd problems..)

AB