Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Advice needed on Linux backup strategy to LTO-4 tape

2009-08-13 03:13:54
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Advice needed on Linux backup strategy to LTO-4 tape
From: Ralf Gross <Ralf-Lists AT ralfgross DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 09:08:57 +0200
rorycl schrieb:

> I'm going to cross-post this text on the Amanda and Bacula lists.
> Apologies in advance if you see this twice.
>
> Our company is about to provide centralised backups for several pools of
> backup data of between 1 and 15TB in size. Each pool changes daily but
> backups to tape will only occur once a month for each pool.
>
> The backup tape format is to be LT04 and we have a second-hand Dell
> PowerVault 124T 16 tape autoloader to work with currently. Backup from a
> pool may be taken off a Linux LVM (or hopefully soon a BTRFS) snapshot
> ensuring that the source data does not change during the backup process.
> We have the possibility of pre-preparing backup or compressed images if
> this is advisable.
>
> An important aspect of the system is that the tapes should be readable
> for 12 years, by other parties if necessary. From this point of view we
> like the idea of providing a CD with each tape set of the software
> needed to extract the contents, together with a listing of the enclosed
> files in a UTF8 text file. We will be required to audit each backup set
> by successfully extracting files from tape.

If you want to keep the data 12 years, you may have to copy these
LTO-4 tapes to a next generation LTO-X media during that time. The
durability of LTO-4 tapes is up to 30 years - in theory. So beside
bacula you have to find a place where you can keep the tapes under the
right conditions (temperatur,  humidity...).

I just had a bunch of 40 LTO-4 tapes that had problems during backups
(or worse -  only during the verify job afterwards). All from the same
production date. So my trust in tapes is not that good anymore...

Ralf