Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] VSS on Vista/Win2008 x64

2009-08-04 19:33:36
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] VSS on Vista/Win2008 x64
From: "James Harper" <james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au>
To: "Shawn" <shawn AT artemide DOT us>, <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 09:29:39 +1000
> Hello folk,
>
>     We're primarily a 95% linux desktop and server environment, with some
> Macs, but we have a couple of pain in the necks we need to back up and I'm
> concerned about VSS.  One is a Windows Server 2008 64-bit, and another is
> Vista 64-bit.  Some things back up fine, but, I get the following VSS error on
> both jobs:
>
> Warning: VSS was not initialized properly. VSS support is disabled. ERR=An
> attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist.
>
>     This using version 2.4.4 across the entire network, using Ubuntu Jaunty
> amd64 server for director - which is also 2.4.4.  I've found bits and pieces
> out there about "Oh blah blah x64 VSS support doesn't work with 32-bit whine
> whine" - but, no resolutions - was this fixed already in later versions?
> Sorry if this is redundant.
>
>     It doesn't seem to matter if I put Enable VSS = yes, or no - in this
> FileSet after the "Name =" field.

Not sure about 2.4.x but 3.0.[012] has a 64 bit windows binary available which
works fine for me with VSS on a Windows 2008 x64 server (two of them). The 64
bit windows binary is only the fd and it is a royal pain to install alongside
the 32 bit sd and director on the same machine, but you just want to install
the fd so you shouldn't have any problems at all. Uninstall the 32 bit version
first though as it will get upset about the installation directories.

I don't think it's recommended but I don't think you'll have any problems
installing a 3.0.2 fd and using it with a 2.4.4 dir+sd.

James