Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula spool on SSD -- solid state drive performance testing?

2009-07-23 06:51:34
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula spool on SSD -- solid state drive performance testing?
From: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
To: Bob Hetzel <beh AT case DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 11:27:15 +0100 (BST)
On Wed, 22 Jul 2009, Bob Hetzel wrote:

> Has anybody tinkered around with spooling backups on an SSD (aka solid
> state drive) or a raid-0 pair of them for higher performance?

No, but it's on my TODO list (Trying to wrangle budget for them)

> It would seem that the issue of latency introduced by thrashing the hard
> drive with several concurrent readers and writers would be lessened on
> flash ram, but I'm seeing all kinds of info on performance degradation over
> time and unexpectedly low throughput from these devices so I'm wondering if
> anybody has given it a shot yet.

Tom's Hardware and a few other sites have run performance checks on "used"
flash drives to try and quantify the slowdowns seen with use. Some units
may slow down by more than 50%.

So far the only units which appear to be worthwhile for spool use are
Samsung and Intel's enterprise SSDs with Intel having a clear performance
edge over time.

I suspect that the sheer performance gains from zero seek time would
far outweigh any slowdown seen in SSDs.

As far as "wearout" is concerned I'm pretty sure flash drives will outlast
the rest of the installed hardware. As it is I'm replacing SAS spool
drives every 12-18 months due to being mechanically worn out through head
thrashing.

AB