Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backuping 2000+ host with bacula?

2009-07-16 10:26:11
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backuping 2000+ host with bacula?
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 05:18:24 -0700
Graham Keeling wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 12:09:32PM +0200, Marcin Radczuk wrote:
>
>> I'm trying use bacula more than a month. I have more than 2000 hosts to
>> backup. We want to do everyday backup. One Full backup per month and
>> Incrementals every other day. Now I have 10 bacula-sd and one bacula-dir
>> and I was add only 300 hosts to schedule. I automated hosts add to
>> bacula-dir, and I have one config file per host. Every host have his own
>> Job, Pool and Fileset in his config. Problem is that bacula can do one
>> backup per bacula-sd. I use Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 900 but I have one
>> Pool per host and bacula can't run another job on bacula-sd if other job
>> is running. Is that mean that I must do one pool per sd? We use Linux
>> machine (Debian Eatch/Lenny) on SD, FD and DIR. How can I boost bacula
>> performance?
>>

> I had similar problems. I had to define 'Maximum Concurrent Jobs' in many
> places to get it to work.
>
> Currently, I have it like this:
> bacula-dir.conf:
>       Director { Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 20; }
>       Storage { Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 20; }
>       Client { Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 20; }
>       Job { Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 1; }
> bacula-fd.conf:
>       FileDaemon { Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 20; }
> bacula-sd.conf:
>       Storage { Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 20; }

Not only that - but it may actually not be what you want. When you allow
an SD to have multiple concurrent jobs, the data from these jobs gets
interleaved on the volume. As a result, restores are slower, and you may
also end up having a 20 incremental backup jobs each spread out over the
same several volumes. That makes recycling difficult - even more so when
some of the backup jobs are full and some are incrementals. The bacula
manual has some additional considerations at
http://www.bacula.org/en/rel-manual/Basic_Volume_Management.html#SECTION002620000000000000000

--
Kevin Keane
Owner

Office: 866-642-7116
http://www.4nettech.com

This e-mail and attachments, if any, may contain confidential and/or
proprietary information. Please be advised that the unauthorized use or
disclosure of the information is strictly prohibited. The information herein is
intended only for use by the intended recipient(s) named above. If you have
received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and
permanently delete the e-mail and any copies, printouts or attachments thereof.