Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] The Bacula Twitter Account

2009-04-29 03:33:25
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] The Bacula Twitter Account
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: bacula-devel AT lists.sourceforge DOT net, "bacula-users" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 09:30:15 +0200
Hello

Recently Zak Greant wrote that he had been helping Bacula Systems out for the
last couple of months on our community support and Free Software/Open Source
strategy and relations.  In addition, he indicated that he had started a
Bacula Twitter account that he thought should be run by the community.

This lead to a number of negative comments, some of the character that I would
appreciate not seeing on the Bacula lists, and some welcome level headed
support from Dan Langille.

My comments are the following:

- Zak made an announcement on the bacula-devel list, which is perfectly fine
with me. If you wish to discuss it, please move the thread to the
bacula-users list.  The development list is for development issues and we
have enough of those to deal with already.  This work is very important
because I want (and insist) that Bacula Systems must be a positive thing for
the Community and not something that takes away from the Bacula Community.

- I didn't know before Zak had created this Twitter account before his
announcement, and some of you may not like the idea.  Although it is unlikely
I will use Twitter, I think creating it is a good thing for the Bacula
Community.  If you like things like Twitter, please use it; if not, what harm
does it do?

- In some of the responses to Zak's announcement there were comments about
messages about the commercial part of Bacula on our lists and apparently some
people have not heard about Bacula Systems.  Personally, I thought that
everyone has heard about Bacula Systems.  I have discussed it in a good
number of my Bacula Status reports for about 2 years now. Many years ago, I
found it was nearly impossible for the Bacula project to deal with companies
that want funded development or support.  It is for that reason that I
created Bacula Systems.  From my stand point, Bacula Systems is the
Enterprise support arm of Bacula.  The fact that Bacula Systems has the word
Bacula in it means that the project and the company are closely related.
Bacula Systems has already brought significant benefit to the project -- see
my version 3.0.0 announcement.

- You will be hearing a lot more about Bacula Systems in the future, because
it is (IMO) and important driving force for Bacula.  Bacula Systems is one of
the few truly Open Source companies that exist, because *all* the software
that it develops for Bacula is available to the community.  The Bacula
Enterprise version has *less* features than the community version, not more
as is the case with most commercial efforts started around a project.  The
only other commercial software company that I know of that is fully Open
Source is RedHat (and probably Canonical).  Most of the others are Open Core,
which means that a small core part of the code is open, and the rest is
proprietary.  We do not intend to do buisness that way.

- I said that you will hear more about Bacula Systems, but the communications
should be directed toward offloading many tasks that normally should fall on
me (and are often not done) such as starting a Twitter, creating a news
letter, announcing training, organizing meetings ...  all things that are
appropriate for helping the Community grow.  If anyone finds offending
commercial messages in those communications, please let me know personally,
and I will examine it and take appropriate action.  The Bacula projects lists
are not meant to carry commercial messages.  I've made that very clear to
Bacula Systems, and they understand.

- Finally, I would like to say that there are a surprising number of
commercial efforts using Bacula, e.g. it is contained in at least two backup
appliances. Most of these commercial companies have modified the code and
distributed it, but not given back one line of code (not true for all cases).
Bacula Systems has now given the project many thousands of lines of code, and
I would like to see *all* commercial companies do the same.

- On the community side, I am very pleased to have had so many contributions
over the years, and they seem to be increasing -- thanks.

Best regards,

Kern

PS: I repeat. Please take lengthy discussions of things such as Zak's
announcement off the developer's list -- thanks.