Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Set Pool For Job Using Python?

2009-04-23 00:39:53
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Set Pool For Job Using Python?
From: "Mordechai T. Abzug" <morty AT frakir DOT org>
To: Jeremy Parrish <jeremyp AT msn.econoprint DOT com>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 00:34:34 -0400
On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 02:01:06PM -0500, Jeremy Parrish wrote:

> >Works fine for me without doing a pool per USB HDD.  If bacula can't
> >find the old volume, it makes a new one with the same name, which
> >seems a little odd, but works OK.

> This is what I am concerned about. When it creates a new volume with
> the same name as a volume that exists on another drive, things get
> confusing because 1) The "old" volume becomes wasted space on another
> drive, 2) Tracking down which drive you need based on volume name
> becomes nearly impossible, and 3) Bacula can become confused if it
> thinks it is looking at the the "re-created" volume but is actually
> looking at the "orphaned" volume on another drive.
>
> Do you have a solution for these issues, or have they not arisen for
> you?

(1) "wasted space" on the old drive is not a problem for me.  When the
    drive is not active, it's not like I need that space for other
    things.  When the drive comes back for reuse, the whole drive
    needs to be wiped anyway, or bacula can be confused.

(2) Tracking down the drive based on the volume name is a concern for
    me, although it hasn't yet been a problem in practice [yet?]

(3) confusion between stale old volume names and current volume names
    can exist in two scenarios -- when reusing an old drive, or when
    doing a restore.  I have workarounds for both.

    When reusing an old drive, do an mkfs first -- you're anyway
    preparing to reuse it.  This eliminates confusion.

    When restoring from an old drive with some stale volumes and some
    current, you are probably specifying "before a specified time".
    bacula will think the stales are *new*, so it won't be confused --
    although you might be.

I don't much like it, but it seems to work OK.  Migration/copy might
be a better solution for the underlying design goal.

- Morty