Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Bacula Rescue CD - Boot Problems

2009-04-22 02:19:54
Subject: [Bacula-users] Bacula Rescue CD - Boot Problems
From: Beorn Harris <beornharris AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 08:14:37 +0200
Hi,

I have been tearing my hair out over this one...I am trying to test a bare
metal recovery, but so far have been unable to get the bacula rescue CDROM to
boot.  I am able to generate the CDROM, and it gets past the isolinux
selection menu, but fails after initial kernel load...

Write protecting the kernel read-only data: 475k
Failed to execute /init
Kernel panic - not syncing: no init found.  Try passing init= option to
kernel.

I am using Rehat EL5 on a VMWare virtual machine (note that it is a different
VM I am trying to restore to).  I am trying to generate the rescue CD from the
scripts in /etc/bacula/rescue.  I have also tried commenting out the cpio
version that makes the initrd without success either.

I have done as much googling and RTFMming as I think I can...anyone have any
other thoughts?

Cheers

Beorn

Other details as follows :

# uname -r
2.6.18-92.el5

# rpm -qa | grep bacula
bacula-client-2.4.4-1.el5.pp
bacula-2.4.4-1.el5.pp

# cat /etc/bacula/rescue/linux/cdrom/cdtree/boot/isolinux/isolinux.cfg
default linux
prompt 1
display boot.msg
timeout 300
F1 boot.msg
F2 options.msg
F3 general.msg
F4 kernel.msg
label linux
  kernel vmlinuz
  append ramdisk_size=126279680 initrd=initrd.img
label memtest86
  kernel memtest
  append -

And finally, output from the build process

# pwd
/etc/bacula/rescue

# make
(cd linux/cdrom; make all)

make[1]: Entering directory `/etc/bacula/rescue/linux/cdrom'

./makekernel

Updating modules in root RAM disk

Coping /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-92.el5 to
/etc/bacula/rescue/linux/cdrom/cdtree/boot/isolinux/vmlinuz
./makebinaries

Building root /sbin. Some Could not find messages are normal ...

==== Could not find ash on your system ====

==== Could not find ata-id on your system ====

==== Could not find checkproc on your system ====

==== Could not find dhcpd on your system ====

==== Could not find fsck.jfs on your system ====

==== Could not find hotplug on your system ====

==== Could not find hwup on your system ====

==== Could not find lilo on your system ====

==== Could not find ltrace on your system ====

==== Could not find mkfs.jfs on your system ====

==== Could not find mkreiserfs on your system ====

==== Could not find mt on your system ====

==== Could not find path_id on your system ====

==== Could not find raidstart on your system ====

==== Could not find reiserfsck on your system ====

==== Could not find scsi_info on your system ====

==== Could not find strace on your system ====

==== Could not find udev on your system ====

==== Could not find udevstart on your system ====

==== Could not find vol_id on your system ====

Building root shared libaries ...

Building /etc ...

====                                             ====

==== Warning your /etc/ssh directory was copied. ====

==== Keep this directory and the CDROM secure.   ====

====                                             ====

make[2]: Entering directory `/etc/bacula/rescue/linux/cdrom/bacula'

./getdiskinfo

Begin collecting system info ...

df: `/etc/bacula/rescue/linux/cdrom/mnt': No such file or directory

Gathering LVM information

  /dev/hda: open failed: No medium found
  /dev/hda: open failed: No medium found
  No volume groups found
  /dev/hda: open failed: No medium found
  No volume groups found
Done collecting info.
Begin creating scripts ...
Done making partitioning scripts
Begin making formatting script(s) ...
Begin making LVM formatting script(s) ...
Done building scripts.
./make_rescue_disk
./copy_to_roottree
make[2]: Leaving directory `/etc/bacula/rescue/linux/cdrom/bacula'
./makeinitrd
Creating the Initial RAM disk image....
Initial RAM disk contents will be 123320 KB
123320+0 records in
123320+0 records out
126279680 bytes (126 MB) copied, 0.572853 seconds, 220 MB/s
Building initial RAM disk done
Compressing the RAM disk image....
Ramdisk size is 126279680
Making isolinux.cfg
Initial RAM disk initrd.img is built.
rm -f bootcd.iso
mkisofs -A "Bacula Rescue Disk" -V "Bacula Rescue Disk" \
          -J -R -T -o bootcd.iso \
          -b boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat \
          -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table cdtree
INFO:   UTF-8 character encoding detected by locale settings.
        Assuming UTF-8 encoded filenames on source filesystem,
        use -input-charset to override.
Size of boot image is 4 sectors -> No emulation
 27.56% done, estimate finish Wed Apr 22 14:11:21 2009
 55.04% done, estimate finish Wed Apr 22 14:11:21 2009
 82.60% done, estimate finish Wed Apr 22 14:11:21 2009
Total translation table size: 5149
Total rockridge attributes bytes: 1821
Total directory bytes: 4096
Path table size(bytes): 38
Max brk space used 0
18169 extents written (35 MB)
make[1]: Leaving directory `/etc/bacula/rescue/linux/cdrom'