Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Changing file-daemon hosts while keeping existing jobs, filesets without doing FULL backup

2009-04-01 12:13:49
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Changing file-daemon hosts while keeping existing jobs, filesets without doing FULL backup
From: Keith Gunderson <krgkg AT yahoo DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 09:08:42 -0700 (PDT)
Keith Gunderson wrote:
> [...]

I just did a some testing and figured it out for myself.  Nothing that follows is recommended (by me) unless you're comfortable with db-admin tasks, sql, and probably C so that you can look into bacula source code to confirm your suspicions about how things work.  But actually, doing what follows was pretty easy.

> We're running bacula 2.2.8 on Debian.  I'd like to replace our main
> fileserver without having to do a full backup of the jobs immediately
> after the switch.

Just to clarify, our fileserver is just computer running bacula-fd.

> We have about 25 TB of data on some FC disk arrays.  Our filesystems
> are xfs and we use LVM for some nice flexibilty.  We'll unplug our old
> server from the FC switch and plug our new server in.  Mount the
> filesystems and go from there.

This worked really well.  Copying the /etc/lvm configuration from old to new is what's needed.

> What is my best bet for getting incrementals to work the next evening?
>
> 1) Alter the client table.  (I.e. add a new client entry, immediately
> stop bacula, manually change the two client entries in database table
> so that the new server has the old servers clientID.) 2) Alter the
> jobs table (i.e. alter the clientID entry for every job row so that
> the new servers clientID is listed where the old server used to be.)
> 3) Buy new tapes dude, you're screwed.  If so, why?
>
> Thanks!
> Keith

Option 2 was the path I took. After backing up the bacula config and db to my hearts content, I configured the new client and ran a simple backup.  Then I looked into the client table and saw what I wanted.  Then I ran:
update job set clientid = 14 where clientid = 2; (Your query may be different and involve more in the where clause depending on your setup.)

Then I updated the jobs & jobdefs so that the new fileserver replace the old fileserver.

Now its like the old filesystems are on a new server, and I can do incremental backups immediately.  If you want to do this, make sure you test it all yourself.

Thanks!
Keith