Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] backup on file device is slow

2009-03-31 19:42:00
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] backup on file device is slow
From: Craig Ringer <craig AT postnewspapers.com DOT au>
To: Gabriele Bulfon <gbulfon AT sonicle DOT com>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 07:35:30 +0800
Gabriele Bulfon wrote:

> When I run the backup on this storage, though, speed slow down to a
> maximum of 800-900k/sec.
> How can I investigate the reason?
> I see on /var/adm/messages that the system is has seen the disk as an
> USB2 full speed.

USB2 "full speed" is vendor-speak for "slow".

USB2 supports "full speed" (12 Mbit/s) and "high speed" (theoretically
480 Mbit/s)*. Your device needs to register as "high speed" to perform
decently.

If that's not the issue and you meant "high speed" ... have you run any
I/O benchmarks (even a simple file copy) to see if the device is
performing OK outside Bacula?

--
Craig Ringer

* Actually, it also supports a low speed for peripherals like mice and
keyboards, but nobody cares about that.