Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Encryption backup using GPG

2009-03-16 17:08:14
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Encryption backup using GPG
From: Lukasz Szybalski <szybalski AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 15:52:01 -0500
On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 10:41 AM, Kevin Keane <subscription AT kkeane DOT com>
wrote:
> First, a word of caution: I did this when I still used tar for backups.
> Eventually I had to revert to unencrypted backups because the backup was
> horrendously slow. Eliminating the GPG encryption sped up a full backup
> of my server from 3 days to an hour or two. BTW, part of the slowdown is
> due to compression rather than encryption; gzip also slowed down the
> tar-based backup, but not near as dramatically.
>
> Of course the impact will depend on your CPU. If you have a quad-core or
> multiple CPUs, and generally a very fast machine, or if your backup is
> very small, the impact may well be tolerable.
>
> The other important thing to remember if using GPG to encrypt the backup
> is that you'll need to keep the key somewhere safe. You wouldn't want to
> be stuck with the only copy of the key being in the encrypted backup!
>
> That said: you say that you are backing up to tape. If you were backing
> up to disk, you might be able to do it by backing up to an unencrypted
> file, and then launching gpg in a Run After Job file. When restoring,
> you would have to manually decrypt the file first. That's probably not a
> problem; in the contrary, that's kind of the idea of protecting the file...
>
> Another possibility: if only some of the data on the server is
> sensitive, exclude that data from the file set. Create a script that
> encrypts the data before bacula gets a hold of it. This might work well
> for a database dump, for instance.

Currently I do gpg encryption and upload it to amazon s3 but only on
the files that are "Static archives" aka after x amount of time they
do not change but we need a copy of them.

http://lucasmanual.com/mywiki/Bacula#head-53a198d817eca824a1d8ecb3f86c5662303fd668

I would be interested to know how get bacula backup file to be
automatically gpg-ed. What are the performance hits on restore when
going through 20x15gb bacula volumes?

Thanks,
Lucas