Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Encryption backup using GPG

2009-03-16 11:49:55
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Encryption backup using GPG
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 08:41:58 -0700
First, a word of caution: I did this when I still used tar for backups.
Eventually I had to revert to unencrypted backups because the backup was
horrendously slow. Eliminating the GPG encryption sped up a full backup
of my server from 3 days to an hour or two. BTW, part of the slowdown is
due to compression rather than encryption; gzip also slowed down the
tar-based backup, but not near as dramatically.

Of course the impact will depend on your CPU. If you have a quad-core or
multiple CPUs, and generally a very fast machine, or if your backup is
very small, the impact may well be tolerable.

The other important thing to remember if using GPG to encrypt the backup
is that you'll need to keep the key somewhere safe. You wouldn't want to
be stuck with the only copy of the key being in the encrypted backup!

That said: you say that you are backing up to tape. If you were backing
up to disk, you might be able to do it by backing up to an unencrypted
file, and then launching gpg in a Run After Job file. When restoring,
you would have to manually decrypt the file first. That's probably not a
problem; in the contrary, that's kind of the idea of protecting the file...

Another possibility: if only some of the data on the server is
sensitive, exclude that data from the file set. Create a script that
encrypts the data before bacula gets a hold of it. This might work well
for a database dump, for instance.

--
Kevin Keane
Owner

Office: 866-642-7116
http://www.4nettech.com

This e-mail and attachments, if any, may contain confidential and/or
proprietary information. Please be advised that the unauthorized use or
disclosure of the information is strictly prohibited. The information herein is
intended only for use by the intended recipient(s) named above. If you have
received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and
permanently delete the e-mail and any copies, printouts or attachments thereof.