Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Suggestions for selecting Bacula version

2009-03-13 09:14:22
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Suggestions for selecting Bacula version
From: Reynier Pérez Mira <rperezm AT uci DOT cu>
To: Bob Hetzel <beh AT case DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 09:00:43 -0500
On Thu, 2009-03-12 at 11:39 -0400, Bob Hetzel wrote:

First of all let me thanks to every people who takes a minutes or maybe
more to answer my questions. I and some others guy starting a DataCenter
and a automatic save tools is needed here. Because I used Bacula before
I just suggest and every people agree with my decision but they told me
that I will be the person who support Bacula and they need that I will
be able to solve any problem. For that this was my first question.

Now as I said before I have a production server conected to a SAN with
24 TB at least so size of save are not a problem or better not now maybe
in a future we need to grow this size. In this server I have Ubuntu
8.04.2 LTS installed. It's virgin because I want to dedicated this
server only to Bacula. The version existent in Ubuntu repositories, for
8.04 release, is to old IMHO. For Intrepid Ibex (8.10) wich is the
latest Bacula is on 2.4.2 version. So I think as you suggest me before
will be nice compile from sources and apply patches if I need.

> 1) If you use the version that's not the latest, the bacula folks will
> most
> likely just tell you to upgrade to the latest version, so you might as
> well
> start there now and try to stay current.

I agree with all. Maybe I could take this release 2.4.4 as stable and
compile and configure and start here at this point and then when a
future version arrive evaluate all to find if I need to upgrade or just
leave the system intact.

> 2) On open source software that's where development is still "active"
> I'd
> highly recommend learning to configure/compile from source.  You don't
> need
> to know how to program to do this and it's reasonably well written up
> in
> the Bacula docs at www.bacula.org.  Documentation of decisions that go
> into
> compiling by the packagers is generally sparse or non-existent.

I agree with this too but I'm one of those person who think: "if the
things are well, why touch them and deconfigure all?". I think also that
the Bacula team need to create a Basic Manual for those who not know any
about Linux, is not my case but well, is my opinion. If exists and I'm
wrong just let me know where to find.

One more time thanks to every and wait for more question from my
person ;)
Cheers
--
Ing. Reynier Pérez Mira