Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Questions about Volumes

2009-03-13 05:50:35
Subject: [Bacula-users] Questions about Volumes
From: "K. Lelong" <bacula AT ace-electronics DOT be>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 10:18:55 +0100
Hi,
I'm learning to use bacula. For years I'm using (now) Symantec
Backup-Exec, so my views come from this.
My setup : a backup-server with as backup-device a REV-drive, running
bacula-dir, bacula-fd and bacula-sd and some servers needing backup,
running bacula-fd. I want the backup operator to just push the button of
the REV-drive to remove the disk to replace it. Of course when there are
problems, more action is needed.
I set up some jobs (full backup) that run fine, but I experience
unexpected things with my Volumes.
If any of those problems are documented, please say so, a pointer would
be appreciated.
My first problem : I backed up too much for one disk, to see what
happens. Well, bacula reported the disk full, but then created another
Volume on the disk, because there was enough place to make the "label".
Then it tried to use that volume, but it found the new volume to be
full, so bacula stopped with an error. Can this be avoided ? I only want
one volume on the disk.
A more troublesome problem is that in the previous situation the "Run
After Job" scipt was not executed (unmount the device). Maybe I found a
config-option that takes care of this : Requires Mount, with it's
related settings ?
Another problem I have is this : I want to keep my backups at least 5
days, but I have 7 disks. Yesterday I put in my 6th disk, but this
morning I found that bacula made a new "rev-0001" volume, so now I have
two disks with "rev-0001" on it. I expected bacula to find an empty
disk, make a label, etc. until it finds a volume that can be
overwritten. Is there a solution ?

My configs :
Bacula-sd :
Director {
   Name = bacula-dir
   Password = "bacula"
}
Director {
   Name = bacula-mon
   Password = "bacula"
   Monitor = yes
}
Messages {
   Name = Standard
   director = bacula-dir = all
}
Device {
   Name = Rev1
   Archive Device = "/mnt/REV70"
   Media Type = File
   Label Media = yes
   Random Access = yes
   Automatic Mount = yes
   Removable Media = yes
   AlwaysOpen = no
   Volume Poll Interval = 10 minutes
}

bacula-dir
Director {                            # define myself
   Name = bacula-dir
   DIRport = 9101
   QueryFile = "/usr/lib/bacula/query.sql"
   WorkingDirectory = /var/lib/bacula/working
   PidDirectory = "/var/run"
   Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 1
   Password = "bacula"         # Console password
   Messages = Daemon
}

Job {
   Name = RestoreFiles
   Type = Restore
   Client = bacula-fd
   FileSet = "Full Set"
   Storage = File
   Pool = Default
   Messages = Standard
   Where = /bacula-restores
}
Client {
   Name = bacula-fd
   Address = bacula
   FDPort = 9102
   Catalog = MyCatalog
   Password = "bacula"
   File Retention = 30 days
   Job Retention = 6 months
   AutoPrune = yes
}
Catalog {
   Name = MyCatalog
   dbname = "bacula"; dbuser = "bacula"; dbpassword = ""
}
Messages {
   Name = Standard
   mailcommand = "/usr/sbin/bsmtp -h localhost -f \"\(Bacula\) \<%r\>\"
-s \"Bacula: %t %e of %c %l\" %r"
   operatorcommand = "/usr/sbin/bsmtp -h localhost -f \"\(Bacula\)
\<%r\>\" -s \"Bacula: Intervention needed for %j\" %r"
   mail = root@localhost = all, !skipped
   operator = root@localhost = mount
   console = all, !skipped, !saved
   append = "/var/lib/bacula/working/log" = all, !skipped
}
Messages {
   Name = Daemon
   mailcommand = "/usr/sbin/bsmtp -h localhost -f \"\(Bacula\) \<%r\>\"
-s \"Bacula daemon message\" %r"
   mail = root@localhost = all, !skipped
   console = all, !skipped, !saved
   append = "/var/lib/bacula/working/log" = all, !skipped
}
Pool {
   Name = Default
   Pool Type = Backup
   Recycle = yes                       # Bacula can automatically
recycle Volumes
   AutoPrune = yes                     # Prune expired volumes
   Volume Retention = 365 days         # one year
}
Pool {
   Name = Scratch
   Pool Type = Backup