Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Strange backup errors on Windows 2003, 2.4.4 fd, 2.4.3 director

2009-03-12 11:59:47
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Strange backup errors on Windows 2003, 2.4.4 fd, 2.4.3 director
From: Foo <bfoo33 AT yahoo.co DOT uk>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 16:47:07 +0100
On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 09:19:53 +0100, Maarten Hoogveld
<m.hoogveld AT elevate DOT nl> wrote:

> This problem sounds farmilliar to me. I have an fd running on a WinXP
> machine which sometimes yields the same error's. Most of the times it's
> about ntuser.log but also some Firefox cache related files and
> hiberfil.sys
> which I accidently backed up that time. All files are known for being
> "opened" all the time or were opened at the time of the backup.
> In the Bacula manual (the Win32 problems
> section<http://www.bacula.org/en/rel-manual/Windows_Version_Bacula.html#SECTION004240000000000000000>)
> it states that this might have to do with a virus scanner or the VSS
> service. You might want to try some suggestions mentioned there.

I looked through the section but short of enabling debugging/tracing (for
which I really don't have time) there was nothing that immediately helped.

Thankfully the age old Windows mantra helped (minor problems, reboot,
major problems, reinstall :). I remembered the server was already acting
up after trying to zip a lot of / large logfiles (explorer kept crashing,
so zipped via network after mounting it on a Linux box, then forgot about
it). shutdown /f /r /t 1 told me it was busy, come back later, so I
powercycled the machine, problem solved.

I got a similar, but slightly different problem on two other machines
however (the above didn't report VSS errors, just files being locked), and
a reboot didn't help here. After looking at the differences with working
machines (Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider service and Volume
Shadow Copy service both set to manual), I found the Volume Shadow Copy
service didn't exist and 'windows\system32\vssadmin.exe list providers'
returns and error about not being able to find the service (bacula
complains with 'Warning: Generate VSS snapshots failed.').

After some Googling I found
http://www.msfn.org/board/lofiversion/index.php/t70962.html which might
help, but I decided not to pursue this since the two machines are to be
decomissioned soon anyway. I have no idea how the Volume Shadow Copy
service went AWOL, installing SP2 might also fix it (machines have SP1 on
now). Additionally, this might help as well:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891957

The eventlog contains the following three entries (twice):

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error  OpenService
(shSCManager, 'VSS', SERVICE_QUERY_STATUS).  hr = 0x80070424.

data:
- Code:  TRCTRCC00001457
- Call: BUECXMLC00006483
- PID:  00000236
- TID:  00001688
- CMD:  "C:\Program Files\Bacula\bin\bacula-fd.exe" /service  -c
"C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
Data\Bacula\bacula-fd.conf"
- User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
- Sid:  S-1-5-18
- Error: OpenService (shSCManager, 'VSS', SERVICE_QUERY_STATUS)

Volume Shadow Copy Service information: The COM Server with CLSID
{e579ab5f-1cc4-44b4-bed9-de0991ff0623} and name Coordinator cannot be
started. [0x80070424]

data: CMD/User/Sid same as for next entry

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine
CoCreateInstance.  hr = 0x80070424.

data:
- Code: BUECXMLC00003954
- Call: BUECXMLC00003933
- PID:  00000236
- TID:  00001796
- CMD:  "C:\Program Files\Bacula\bin\bacula-fd.exe" /service  -c
"C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
Data\Bacula\bacula-fd.conf"
- User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
- Sid:  S-1-5-18

So basically for these two machines it looks like VSS couldn't start and
hence the complaints about locked files, perhaps something similar is
going on for you. BTW, we do have antivirus running and it doesn't seem to
be a problem regarding locked files (and as it happens no AV is running on
the two problem machines).