Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Strange backup errors on Windows 2003, 2.4.4 fd, 2.4.3 director

2009-03-12 04:30:26
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Strange backup errors on Windows 2003, 2.4.4 fd, 2.4.3 director
From: Maarten Hoogveld <m.hoogveld AT elevate DOT nl>
To: Foo <bfoo33 AT yahoo.co DOT uk>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 09:19:53 +0100
Hello Foo,

This problem sounds farmilliar to me. I have an fd running on a WinXP machine which sometimes yields the same error's. Most of the times it's about ntuser.log but also some Firefox cache related files and hiberfil.sys which I accidently backed up that time. All files are known for being "opened" all the time or were opened at the time of the backup.
In the Bacula manual (the Win32 problems section) it states that this might have to do with a virus scanner or the VSS service. You might want to try some suggestions mentioned there.
I'm currently debugging the issue to find the problem but I think it's VSS related. In my case the VSS service cannot be stopped after this problem has occured. (The "trying to stop the service" window doesn't go away.) I have set up VSS logging and I'm currently trying to figure out what the usefull part of this file is.

The difference in my situation is that the backup job of the windows computer never stops. It stays in the "Running" state even though I have set up a Max Run Time which prevents other jobs from starting. I have to stop/start the bacula-fd on the windows machine to stop the backup job. This might be a bug in Bacula but I have to be sure before I start blaming Bacula :)

Cheers,
Maarten Hoogveld

Elevate BV