Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Suggestions to make a backup

2009-03-12 07:47:43
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Suggestions to make a backup
From: Thomas Mueller <thomas AT chaschperli DOT ch>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 11:37:12 +0000 (UTC)

> I want to make a Tape Backup (LTO3) of the data in this Samba share
> (about 1TB) but I cannot change the tape for filling all the data in the
> night because the office is closed. In the day, the samba share is
> continuously changing and the backup is not possible.

consider installing bacula-fd on the machine where samba runs.

> There's a solution like VSS for Linux to make a copy or snapshot of the
> data an the backup this while the original share is changing?
>
> The share is a LV in a LVM group. I've read about LVM capability of
> clone LV's but if the data grows I'll have not enough space in the
> server for cloning the data LV to make the backup before.

have a look here about lvm snapshots:

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/snapshotintro.html

> Setting compression (Hard or Soft) maybe don't fills my 1TB of data into
> the LTO3 cartdrige, then...

your LTO3 will can compress data. more infos about tape compression and
bacula
http://www.bacula.org/en/rel-manual/
Testing_Your_Tape_Drive.html#SECTION004036000000000000000

- Thomas