Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula with an empty tape drive (was:mtx-changerloaded issues)

2009-03-09 15:39:39
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula with an empty tape drive (was:mtx-changerloaded issues)
From: "(private) HKS" <hks.private AT gmail DOT com>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 15:30:53 -0400
On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 3:20 PM, Robert LeBlanc <robert AT leblancnet DOT us>
wrote:
>> Thanks for the responses. The trouble listed in my other thread is
>> mostly due to OpenBSD's chio utility not keeping track of the slot
>> from which the currently loaded tape was pulled.
>>
>> I'm unclear on your response, though. Are you saying that btape gives
>> you problems if you don't have a tape loaded? If it's working, would
>> you mind including your storage configs?
>>

> Btape bombs out if there is not a tape loaded. I have to manually load a
> tape, also if bacula-sd is running, I have to first release the drive,
> then manually load the tape and then run btape.
>
> I thought bacula kept track of where the tapes were loaded from. The
> reason I suspect this is that before I had udev map the drives based on
> WWID, tapes would get swapped when the drives did not come up in the
> same order. The mtx command showed the correct slot loaded in the drive,
> but Bacula would switch them.
>
> Robert LeBlanc
> Life Sciences Computer Support
> Brigham Young University
> leblanc AT byu DOT edu
> (801)422-1882

I think you're right that Bacula tracks this itself too, but
"mtx-changer /dev/ch0 loaded" is written to report the slot number
that's loaded into the drive itself. This is also how Bacula
interprets it. Anyway, I'll save my changes to this script until I've
finished testing them.

On another note, I've discovered that I jumped the gun when concluding
that the sd hung without a tape. btape does indeed eat itself when the
there's no tape, but the sd was apparently just waiting for the
"Maximum Open Wait" window to expire before it would respond to status
requests. After five minutes of this:
----
*status storage
Automatically selected Storage: Tape
Connecting to Storage daemon Tape at 10.123.0.17:9103
----

I finally got a reply. Decreasing this window to 30 seconds makes it a
bit more palatable, though I have to test to make sure this isn't
going to cause other problems.

Thanks for the help, and sorry for misunderstanding that behavior.

-HKS