Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula with an empty tape drive (was: mtx-changerloaded issues)

2009-03-09 15:15:09
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula with an empty tape drive (was: mtx-changerloaded issues)
From: "(private) HKS" <hks.private AT gmail DOT com>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 15:07:45 -0400
On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 2:40 PM, Robert LeBlanc <robert AT leblancnet DOT us>
wrote:
>> Changed the subject to better reflect the current issue.
>>
>> Attempting to run bacula-sd or btape when my drive is empty results in
>> the application hanging. I believe this is related to section 37.1.1
>> in the manual. Can anyone confirm that Bacula simply does not operate
>> properly when configured to use a tape drive that does not have a tape
>> in it? Are there any workarounds for this?
>>
>> -HKS
>>
>> relevant bacula-sd.conf:
>> ----
>> Autochanger {
>>   Name = 124T-Autochanger
>>   Device = 124T-Drive
>>   Changer Command = "/usr/local/libexec/bacula/mtx-changer %c %o %s %a
>> %d"
>>   Changer Device = /dev/ch0
>> }
>>
>> Device {
>>   Name = 124T-Drive
>>   Drive Index = 0
>>   Media Type = 124T
>>   Archive Device = /dev/nrst0
>>   AutomaticMount = yes;               # when device opened, read it
>>   AlwaysOpen = yes;
>>   RemovableMedia = yes;
>>   RandomAccess = no;
>>   AutoChanger = yes
>>
>>   Hardware End of Medium = No
>>   Fast Forward Space File = No
>>   BSF at EOM = yes
>> }
>> ----
>>

> Not sure why you are having such issues. I've used a Dell PV142T with
> only one tape drive and have had no problems when the drive was empty. I
> am using btape right now and it doesn't like it if there is no tape. I
> haven't used the Dell library in over a year now. I did not have to
> modify any scripts to get it to work.
>
> Robert LeBlanc
> Life Sciences Computer Support
> Brigham Young University
> leblanc AT byu DOT edu
> (801)422-1882

Thanks for the responses. The trouble listed in my other thread is
mostly due to OpenBSD's chio utility not keeping track of the slot
from which the currently loaded tape was pulled.

I'm unclear on your response, though. Are you saying that btape gives
you problems if you don't have a tape loaded? If it's working, would
you mind including your storage configs?

-HKS