Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] why catalog backup

2009-03-09 08:33:12
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] why catalog backup
From: Ulrich Leodolter <ulrich.leodolter AT obvsg DOT at>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 13:22:23 +0100
Hello,

On Mon, 2009-03-09 at 12:47 +0200, Timo Neuvonen wrote:
> > if your host with bacula catalog database dies, you really wan't to have
> > a catalog backup. re-creating the catalog from the tapes/disk isn't
> > really a fun task (if you have lot's of tapes and/or lots of data it will
> > be a pain-in-the-ass job). you will be _much_ faster restoring it from  a
> > dump.
> >
> > if you don't backup it regularly with your jobs, i recommend at least to
> > have a copy on another computer.
> >
> > what are your motives to not make backups of your catalog?
> >

> I think he wasn't going to not-to-do-any-backup, but the question actually
> was if it is better to backup the catalog dump as a regular Bacula backup
> (as in default conf) or simply dump it to another system.
>
> If doing both of them isn't an option, I would choose to back the catalog to
> another computer, that is in a different physical location. But the bottom
> line is to have a catalog backup that really can be restored, and is as safe
> as the actual backup media. So, making catalog backup only to another
> computer located in the same room or cabinet with the original one obviously
> is not a good choice if it is desirable to recover something from the
> properly saved other media after a fire or sabotage.
>
> Another thing to remember: though conf files are not impossible to set up
> from a scratch again, it propably will save lot of valuable time during a
> distaster recovery (or even after an accidental deletion of a conf file) if
> also all the conf files of the Bacula daemons are backed up to somewhere
> (together with the catalog dump) where they are available without a working
> install of Bacula. In other words, if they are stored somewhere outside of
> the Bacula-accessible-only backup media.

I am doing both, my make_daily_backup script is called as second
RunBeforeScript.
/opt/bacula contains full bacula installation + catalog backup made
by first RunBeforeScript

RunBeforeJob = "/opt/bacula/etc/make_catalog_backup bacula bacula"
RunBeforeJob = "/opt/bacula/etc/make_daily_backup"

#!/bin/bash
# make_dail_backup script
HERE=`uname -n`
THERE=backup2