Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] why catalog backup

2009-03-09 06:56:01
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] why catalog backup
From: "Timo Neuvonen" <timo-news AT tee-en DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 12:47:53 +0200
> if your host with bacula catalog database dies, you really wan't to have
> a catalog backup. re-creating the catalog from the tapes/disk isn't
> really a fun task (if you have lot's of tapes and/or lots of data it will
> be a pain-in-the-ass job). you will be _much_ faster restoring it from  a
> dump.
>
> if you don't backup it regularly with your jobs, i recommend at least to
> have a copy on another computer.
>
> what are your motives to not make backups of your catalog?

I think he wasn't going to not-to-do-any-backup, but the question actually
was if it is better to backup the catalog dump as a regular Bacula backup
(as in default conf) or simply dump it to another system.

If doing both of them isn't an option, I would choose to back the catalog to
another computer, that is in a different physical location. But the bottom
line is to have a catalog backup that really can be restored, and is as safe
as the actual backup media. So, making catalog backup only to another
computer located in the same room or cabinet with the original one obviously
is not a good choice if it is desirable to recover something from the
properly saved other media after a fire or sabotage.

Another thing to remember: though conf files are not impossible to set up
from a scratch again, it propably will save lot of valuable time during a
distaster recovery (or even after an accidental deletion of a conf file) if
also all the conf files of the Bacula daemons are backed up to somewhere
(together with the catalog dump) where they are available without a working
install of Bacula. In other words, if they are stored somewhere outside of
the Bacula-accessible-only backup media.

Regards,
Timo