Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Using Hard Drives and Tapes together

2009-03-06 03:11:41
Subject: [Bacula-users] Using Hard Drives and Tapes together
From: Maria McKinley <maria AT shadlen DOT org>
To: Bacula Users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2009 23:50:49 -0800
Hello,

My data has become a bit unruly for my tapes. I am up to 7-8 tapes per
full backup, which even with a tape changer is becoming a bit much. I am
thinking of rotating hard drives instead, but was thinking maybe I would
still use tapes for incremental, and maybe the occasional full. But then
I realized that the compression option is attached to the FileSet. So,
it seems that I have to make two FileSets that cover the same data, so
that one FileSet is for the tape (no compression, let the hardware do
it) and one for the drive. But, I think that would create a further
problem, where every time it tried to do incremental for the tape, it
would only find any backup done to tape, and do the incremental from
that, rather than the more recent disk backup. Is there a way to get
around this, or do I have something thought out wrong, or am I just
stuck using all tape or all drives?

thanks,
maria