Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] recover partial readable tape

2009-03-05 17:53:37
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] recover partial readable tape
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2009 23:49:54 +0100
Hi,

04.03.2009 19:07, Thomas Mueller wrote:
>>> Is there a way to "reassemble" the two parts of the file and reread
>>> them with bacula? i've not found any option like "skip file 4 to 20"
>>> with the bextract,bscan,bls tools
>> You should use a bootstrap file to that purpose. The easiest way would
>> be to initiate a restore from the console, and when all is done, instead
>> of starting the job, copy the created bootstrap file and cancel the
>> restore. Then, in the bootstrap file, remove all records pointing to
>> tape files 5 to 19.
>>
>> Alternatively, it's not too big a task to manually write a minimal
>> bootstrap file, omitting the files in question.

>> I'd use bls with j, k, L, p and v options to get a better idea of what
>> actually is in the resulting volume file.
>
> problem: the tape drive doesn't go over file 4, it's running in circles
> telling me that it skipped a block but next message telling me again that
> the same block is beeing skipped (and so on).

Ok... somehow I got the impression that you could fsf' over the
damaged files... which seems to be obvious as you say you fond that
later tape files are ok.

> if i do an "mt fsf 5" i need to rewind the tape to get access again, else
> it will print i/o error.

Ok, for me to really understand what happens we need to go back to the
shell :-)

When you load that tape, you can fsf to, say, file 21, and the tape
drive reports the correct position.

But when, with the tape freshly loaded, you read to the end of file
four, you can't fsf and more, not even fsf'ing 17 files to end up
beyond the damaged area.

Is that a correct description?

Arno

--