Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] client-side data encryption without routine access to private key

2009-03-03 09:29:38
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] client-side data encryption without routine access to private key
From: Tom Yates <madhatter AT teaparty DOT net>
To: Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 13:23:17 +0000 (GMT)
On Wed, 18 Feb 2009, Martin Simmons wrote:

> Does the private key have to be the one associated with the public key?
> It looks like the code loads them separately, so perhaps another
> solution is to use two key pairs and make a pem file containing the
> public key of one and the private key of the other (assuming openssl
> allows that)?

Elegant, and it works.  I made two keypairs (risby-sign and risby-encrypt)
and put risby-sign.key and risby-encrypt.cert) into the PEM file specified
in "PKI Keypair =".

The fd process restarted fine, did a test backup fine.  When I tried a
test restore, it fails (as it should) with "restore.c:488 Failed to
initialize decryption context for
/tmp/bacula-restores/big/home/madhatta/TESTFILE".

When I replace the PEM file with one containing both halves of the
encryption key (risby-encrypt.key and risby-encrypt.cert) and restart the
FD, the restore still errors on validating the signature ("restore.c:839
Signature validation failed for file
/tmp/bacula-restores/big/home/madhatta/TESTFILE: ERR=Signature is
invalid") (which is expected, because now it has *neither* part of the
signing keypair), but the file restores correctly:

4bed0f14512d1290931529b1bc233a0bfe362614  /big/home/madhatta/TESTFILE
4bed0f14512d1290931529b1bc233a0bfe362614
/tmp/bacula-restores/big/home/madhatta/TESTFILE

As I say: elegant - and thank you!

--

       Tom Yates  -  http://www.teaparty.net