Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] backup cifs fileset

2009-02-26 11:07:07
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] backup cifs fileset
From: Berend Dekens <berend AT cyberwizzard DOT nl>
To: François Mehault <Francois.Mehault AT netplus DOT fr>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 17:04:22 +0100
François Mehault wrote:

> Could not stat J:/test: ERR=The system cannot find the path specified

The short answer: you can't - not like that anyway.

The networked drive you create on windows only exists for the current
user or even the current session of that user. Since bacula runs as a
service, it will not see the remote drive.

You have 3 options here:
1. Mount the remote FS on the backup server and unmount afterwards
2. Install a file daemon on the remote system you want to back up in the
first place (unless you have a good reason not to).
3. Run 'net use //yourserver/share J:' or similar to mount the drive
using the system account on windows before backupping (use the
RunBeforeJobOnClient - or similar - command).

Option 2 is the best solution in my opinion as I found remote mounting
scripts to be error prone at best. Also, SMB/CIFS is slow as hell -
making me guess that a direct FD <-> SD transport would outperform a
backup by a factor 2 at least (if I look at my own network).

Regards,
Berend Dekens