Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Restoring from volumes on multiple storages

2009-02-25 16:14:29
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Restoring from volumes on multiple storages
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 22:12:19 +0100
Hi,

25.02.2009 18:37, Graham Keeling wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Here I'm using bacula-2.2.8.
>
> I have a bacula storage daemon, 'Disk 1' (Device 'Disk 1.0') and a bacula
> storage daemon, 'BPL2Disk 1' (Device 'BPL2Disk 1.0').
> There is one backup job allowed per volume.
>
> 'BPL2Disk 1' has a full backup and several incrementals.
> 'Disk 1' has the latest incremental.
>
> When I try to restore a job that needs four volumes in total including the
> latest one on 'Disk 1', it seems as if bacula doesn't bother trying to find
> the last volume on the second storage. It just tries the first and gives up.
>
> I have attached the .bsr file that was produced for the restore job. You can
> see that it has got the device names correct.
>
> The attached file 'log' shows the commands that I entered for the restore job
> into bconsole, the questions that it asked me, and the messages that bacula
> logged when it tried to run the restore.
> It clearly shows that bacula knows where the different volumes are, but it
> then ignored that information and tried to find all the volumes on
> 'BPL2Disk 1'.
>
> Have a found a bug, a limitation, a feature, or am I doing it wrong?

A limitation (which should be documented somewhere...)

The solution is to either pick the jobs manually, and start a restore
for the set from one storage device first, then run a restore from the
second storage devices volumes.

Or, alternatively, you can take the bootstrap file you already have,
split it in two in this location:

FileIndex=320-321
FileIndex=540
Count=7
Volume="backup-0145"
MediaType="File"
Device="Disk 1.0"
VolSessionId=70

and run two separate restore jobs with the resulting bootstrap files.

Hope this helps,

Arno

> Thanks,
> Graham.