Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Bacula cd rescue [some workarounds and error]

2009-02-19 14:54:15
Subject: [Bacula-users] Bacula cd rescue [some workarounds and error]
From: Martin Spinassi <martins.listz AT gmail DOT com>
To: "'Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net'" <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 17:57:55 -0200
Hi again list

I've posted some questions about the bacula cd rescue, but I've managed
to make it work (or some kind of).

Here is what I did.

I've installed bacula director in a Debian lenny box, using apt, and
some clients using different ways (yum, rpm from sourceforge, apt).
As it is just a test of a bare metal restore, I take it easy and get
some time to investigate and read.

The example I want to restore, is a CentOS 5.2, and bacula-fd was
installed using yum (version 2.4.2).

To make the cd rescue, I've followed the manual instructions, making
first a static bacula-fd, and then using the rescue with it.
The first challenge I had, is that the machine that I'm trying to
restore is a 64 bit CPU, so I had to copy /lib64 and /usr/lib64 to the
roottree to make it work (yes, I copy all..I'll try to copy just
necessary later).

Once the cd worked, I noticed that both using "linux 1" or "linux 2"
gives me a shell, never asking for login, but suppose that there is no
big deal with that (as far as you don't complain about security).

The second problem I faced, was when trying to make partitions with the
script included, and find that there wasn't a /dev/sda when boot. So I
had to follow these steps:

# mount -t tmpfs udev /dev
# udevd --daemon
# udevtrigger

The rest can be mounted too:

# mount -t devpts devpts /dev/pts (need to create /dev/pts first)
# mount -t tmpfs tmpfs /dev/shm

It also made my ethernet card appear.

Once there, I could run the partition and format script.
Then mounted the file system (the scripts mounts it on /mnt/disk), but
as lack of files (bash, libs, etc), the chroot didn't worked out.

To make bacula-fd run, I had to create the directory "bacula"
at /var/lib/.

The next step was te restore, but here comes the problem. It starts the
restore, but a minute or so later, the client gets out of memory and
kernel start killing process (bacula first, and probably bash later).
I tried making swap first, just in case:

# swapon /dev/sda1

but looks like it never uses it.

Deleting extra libs at /lib64 and /usr/lib64 is a shoot, but I'm afraid
that it will keep consuming memory until a new "out of memory" and kill
everything again..

So..any suggestion? any idea? Can I make bacula-fd flush the memory
earlier, before it gets out of memory? or make it use swap?

Thanks to all

Cheers

Martín