Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Finding performance issues

2009-02-09 18:04:49
Subject: [Bacula-users] Finding performance issues
From: "(private) HKS" <hks.private AT gmail DOT com>
To: Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 16:48:15 -0500
Hi all,

I'm relatively new to Bacula, but so far have been very impressed with
it. Right now, I'm backing up three separate data centers to Dell
2950s with 3TB SATA RAID 5 disk arrays. I'm running Bacula 2.2.8 on
OpenBSD 4.4 with Postgresql 8.3.3.

The only trouble I'm having is terrifically bad performance. As I
implied, this is backing up to an onboard disk array. My typical
backup is about 360MB, and the reported transfer rate is usually
around 1.5MB/s (despooling is around 30-40MB/s). This server is
connected to its clients via gigabit LAN, and these speeds are
suffered by all clients: good (dual quadcore Xeons with 16GB of RAM
and 15k SAS RAID 5 array) and bad (Soekris 5501 with solid-state CF
storage) alike; Windows 2003, FreeBSD 7, and OpenBSD 4.4; same or
different subnets.

Can anybody make suggestions for tracking down this performance
bottleneck? Below is a brief list of the steps I've taken, and the
results. Thanks for the help.

-HKS

Steps:
---------
- Disabled spooling - transfer rate remained at 1-1.5MB/s
- Tested disk performance with dd - 100-200MB/s
- Disabled FileSet compression altogether - no change
- Enabled soft updates on /backups file system - no change
- Disabled GZIP compression - no change