Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Feature request

2009-02-05 05:17:26
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Feature request
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 02:13:29 -0800
Dan Langille wrote:

> On Feb 4, 2009, at 5:50 PM, Kevin Keane wrote:
>
>> Here is a second feature request
>>
>> Item n:   Document the database design
>>  Origin: Kevin Keane, subscription AT kkeane DOT com
>>  Date:   February 4, 2009
>>  What:   I would like to see a complete documentation of all the
>> database tables.
>
> "Complete" is subjective.
>
> What do you define as complete?
The single most important part of such documentation would be an ERD of
the database. In fact, for me personally, that would probably be enough
to figure out the rest.
Secondarily:
Describing the fundamental design philosophy behind the database (what
kinds of items are being represented, how are they connected to each other?)
A list of all tables, along with their foreign keys.
A list of all fields in each table
A description of the meaning of each field (from a user perspective, not
a technical description)
When a field is constrained, a list of the permissible values or
whatever the constraint is.

All of that should be in the user documentation, not just in the
developer documentation - because bconsole is a user tool.

Ultimately, though, my favorite would be to remove the sqlquery command
altogether, and have more specific commands that do what users really
want it to do. Users shouldn't have to dig through SQL code to solve
their problems any more than they should have to dig through C/C++ code.
> What is missing that you want to see?
I wouldn't even know where to find a list of the tables or how they
relate to each other.
> When we start the documentation, how can we tell when we're done?
Ah, the age-old question of technical writers ;-) Ultimately, you can't.
Just do the best you can.

--
Kevin Keane
Owner

Office: 866-642-7116
http://www.4nettech.com

This e-mail and attachments, if any, may contain confidential and/or
proprietary information. Please be advised that the unauthorized use or
disclosure of the information is strictly prohibited. The information herein is
intended only for use by the intended recipient(s) named above. If you have
received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and
permanently delete the e-mail and any copies, printouts or attachments thereof.