Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bug / RFE

2009-02-04 15:27:24
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bug / RFE
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 21:24:41 +0100
Hi,

04.02.2009 19:13, Dupree, Craig wrote:
> This is starting to get annoying....
>
> Can the parts of bacula that ask for volume names not arbitrarily
> use atoi on them?

Not easily, no...

> Here is a good example where I want to purge a volume name, since I
> know now the list of volumes that I want to purge and reuse for
> this month's backup set:
>
> Enter MediaId or Volume name: 000029 sql_get.c:1002 Media record
> MediaId=29 not found.
>
> In this case, it's only a hassle because MediaId 29 doesn't exist.
> A worse problem occurs when the leading zeros are stripped off of a
> volume name, and the resulting number is a valid MediaId.

The problem is that the requests accepts both MediaId or a Volume
name. MediaId is always numeric, a volume name is not.

As long as volume names can be numeric, and there is no way to
distinguish if a MediaId or a volume name is entered, I see no simle
solution to the problem.

Actually, as most volume names today are non-numeric, I don't think
this affects enough users to make a fix an urgent thing.

You can, of course, post a proper feature request - preferrably along
with a potential solution. A solution would have to be compatible to
todays behaviour, though, as that interface is probably used by
scripts; thus, requiring qoutes or any other special way to
distinguish between media id and volume name when entered is probably
not the best way.

I could imagine some post-input checks, i.e., after the value is
entered, and it's numerical only, and has leading zeros, see if a
volume with that MediaId exists. If there isn't one, use the input as
a volume name.

I'm sure other solutions could be found...

Arno

> Craig

Arno Lehmann
IT-Service Lehmann