Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Setup advices for some heterogenous set of server

2009-02-04 05:34:46
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Setup advices for some heterogenous set of server
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 11:30:36 +0100
Hello,

03.02.2009 13:44, Thomas Manson wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   I've read quite some stuff about bacula, but I'm still not sure of the
> best way to implement it.
>
>   I've attached a simple diagram that represent the network as it will
> soon be. (DNS Server 1 and WebServer 2 are not yet setup).
>
>   On each server of the left side, the host provider gives 160GB of disk
> on FTP.
>   The Home Server is the server that will run the Backup Director.
>
>   Over internet, servers can communicate via SSH. Additionnal port can
> be opened, but I'd rather not.

You can tunnel any connection where you can specify the host and port
to use through ssh. In Bacula, you could set up the tunnels using a
run before job script.

A regular VPN might be easier to maintain, though harder to set up.

>   HomeServer and Office Server has an 1MByte/s download and 100KByte/s
> upload capabilities.

That's a bit limited for backup purposes of large data sets.

>   Other Servers have more the 50MByte/s upload capabilities
>
>   For WebServer1 & 3, and Office Server, I've no other solution that get
> backup to HomeServer.
>   For other servers, I've the 160GB disks available, but I'm not sure of
> their reliabality (Probably not raid 1 or 5 device, who can access).
>
>   Any thought, advice?

Well, it's quite important to know where you want your backups to end
up. Assuming you want them all consolidated on the HomeServer, you'd
need some VPN/ssh tunnels to all the servers you want to back up.

Once those exist, it's a rather standard situation to set up Bacula
accordingly.

If you need to keep backup data on te different sites because of the
traffic limitations, you'll end up with a number of SDs - one in each
location - but you can still control those with a single DIR instance.
Getting a usable setup might be difficult because the SD address in
the configuration needs to be valid both for the DIR and the FDs
accessing that SD - again, a VPN might be useful, but some careful
/etc/hosts edits on all the sites might do the trick.

If all your servers are accessible with public IPs / DNS names, that's
not much of an issue, though.

More specific advice would require some more knowledge about your
network layout - are those heavily firewalled networks, do they share
a common DNS zone, or are they even networks completely separated from
each other?

Arno

> Regards,
> Thomas.

> Create and Deploy Rich Internet Apps outside the browser with Adobe(R)AIR(TM)
> software. With Adobe AIR, Ajax developers can use existing skills and code to
> build responsive, highly engaging applications that combine the power of local
> resources and data with the reach of the web. Download the Adobe AIR SDK and
> Ajax docs to start building applications today-http://p.sf.net/sfu/adobe-com

Arno Lehmann
IT-Service Lehmann
Sandstr. 6, 49080 Osnabrück