Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Feature Request: Data encryption (formal version)

2009-02-04 04:07:41
Subject: [Bacula-users] Feature Request: Data encryption (formal version)
From: Tobias Barth <tobias.barth AT web-arts DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net, bacula-devel AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 10:04:55 +0100
Hi,

I yesterday mailed an informal feature request. Here is the formal version of it:

Feature Request Form

Item n:   Data encryption on storage daemon
  Origin: Tobias Barth <tobias.barth at web-arts.com>
  Date:   04 February 2009

  What:   The storage demon should be able to do the data encryption that can currently be done by the file daemon.

  Why:    This would have 2 advantages: 1) one could encrypt the data of unencrypted tapes by doing a migration job, and 2) the storage daemon would be the only machine that would have to keep the encryption keys.

  Notes:  I don't know if the migration jobs can be done with one single tape drive - and a disc (array) as buffer. If not, this should be another feature on the project list.

Cheers,

Tobias Barth