Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Feature Request: Data encryption

2009-02-03 13:29:52
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Feature Request: Data encryption
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: bacula-devel AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 19:26:42 +0100
On Tuesday 03 February 2009 16:33:21 Tobias Barth wrote:
> Hi,
>
> since Bacula supports encryption of file data now, I wonder what to do
> with old unencrypted tapes. I think it would be good if one of the tools
> that come with bacula would allow tapes to be encrypted - by reading
> their data to disc, and writing them back with encrypted files. Would it
> be possible to implement that feature in one of the upcoming versions of
> bacula - maybe as enhancement of the tool "bcopy"?

This would not be so simple for encrypting with our current code because the
encryption keys are kept by the File deamons (note plural).

> Another feature that I'd like to see in bacula would be data encryption
> by the storage demon, so that the encryption keys on a multi
> computer-system need only be stored on the machine with the storage
> demon on it.

If you would like this, please submit a Feature Request.  See
www.bacula.org -> Feature Request  for the details.

With a feature like this, it would be much more practical (easier) to encrypt
unencrypted tapes.  Given a SD encryption feature, encryption of
non-encrypted volumes could be done by running a Volume Migration Job.

====

Now is the best time for Bacula users to submit Feature Requests since we are
at the end of a development cycle.  Those that are accepted (95% of all
requests) will be added to the "projects" file for voting which will occur
probably in late March or April.

Best regards,

Kern