Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Mixed Drives

2009-01-23 17:39:19
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Mixed Drives
From: Ryan Novosielski <novosirj AT umdnj DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 16:17:04 -0500

Arno Lehmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 23.01.2009 15:03, Alan Brown wrote:
>> On Wed, 21 Jan 2009, Ryan Novosielski wrote:
>>
>>> Media type is completely arbitrary. If you want the new drive to be able
>>> to share media with the old drive, you should use the same media type.
>>> If not, you should have them be different. It would be best if you could
>>> make a supported media type list, to allow for backward compatible
>>> drives, but that's not possible at present.
>> This is something I raised at least 2-3 years ago. There's been no
>> apparent interest in solving the issue and likely won't be until one of
>> the developers encounters the problem.
>
> Possible... of course, a patch or even a detailed description how to
> implement this would be appreciated, I'm sure (and I know there
> already is some detail available but can't find the thread(s) at the
> moment :-)
>
>> Supported media lists would have to cover r/w and ro support:
>>
>> LTO drives are r/w compatible with the previous generation, but read only
>> with the one before that.
>>
>> ie: LTO4 can R/W LTO3 tapes, but only read LTO2 and can't read LTO1 at all.
>>
>> (As far as I can tell these are _minimum_ specs for LTO. It's perfectly
>> possible to exceed them and produce a LTO4 drive which can write LTO2 and
>> read LTO1, but as far as I know no manufacturer has done that yet.
>
> I don't know any such drive either...
>
> Anyway, personally, I'd like to see Alans suggestions implemented, but
> neither I nor any of my customers has a setup where that would be
> needed... the original poster might think about how they could support
> development here :-)

I would appreciate this as it saves us some money. I have DDS4, DAT72,
and DLT8000 drives. I can use DDS3, DDS4, DAT72, and DLT-IV tapes -- and
the price difference I recall being significant, at least where we are
allowed to buy from (public institution). There are times where I'm
limited to using one drive where I could be using another, but it's no
showstopper.

- --