Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Mixed Drives

2009-01-21 15:43:47
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Mixed Drives
From: Ryan Novosielski <novosirj AT umdnj DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 15:26:15 -0500

Robert LeBlanc wrote:
> [...]
>
>   RemovableMedia = yes;
>
>   RandomAccess = no;
>
>   AutoChanger = yes
>
>   Spool Directory = /backup/spool
>
>   Maximum Network Buffer Size = 65536
>
>   # Enable the Alert command only if you have the mtx package loaded
>
> #  Alert Command = "sh -c 'tapeinfo -f %c |grep TapeAlert|cat'"
>
>   # If you have smartctl, enable this, it has more info than tapeinfo
>
>   Alert Command = "sh -c 'smartctl -H -l error %c'"
>
> }
>

> Device {
>
>   Name = Drive-1                      #
>
>   Drive Index = 1
>
>   Media Type = LTO3
>
>   Archive Device = /dev/tape/drive1
>
>   AutomaticMount = yes;               # when device opened, read it
>
>   AlwaysOpen = yes;
>
>   RemovableMedia = yes;
>
>   RandomAccess = no;
>
>   AutoChanger = yes
>
>   Spool Directory = /backup/spool
>
>   Maximum Network Buffer Size = 65536
>
>   # Enable the Alert command only if you have the mtx package loaded
>
> #  Alert Command = "sh -c 'tapeinfo -f %c |grep TapeAlert|cat'"
>
> #  # If you have smartctl, enable this, it has more info than tapeinfo
>
>   Alert Command = "sh -c 'smartctl -H -l error %c'"
>
> }
>

> Device {
>
>   Name = Drive-2                      #
>
>   Drive Index = 2
>
>   Media Type = LTO4
>
>   Archive Device = /dev/tape/drive2
>
>   AutomaticMount = yes;               # when device opened, read it
>
>   AlwaysOpen = yes;
>
>   RemovableMedia = yes;
>
>   RandomAccess = no;
>
>   AutoChanger = yes
>
>   Spool Directory = /backup/spool
>
>   Maximum Network Buffer Size = 65536
>
>   # Enable the Alert command only if you have the mtx package loaded
>
> #  Alert Command = "sh -c 'tapeinfo -f %c |grep TapeAlert|cat'"
>
> #  # If you have smartctl, enable this, it has more info than tapeinfo
>
>   Alert Command = "sh -c 'smartctl -H -l error %c'"
>
> }
>

> Bacula-dir.conf
>

> Storage {
>
>   Name = Neo8000
>
>   Address = 192.168.3.18 # N.B. Use a fully qualified name here
>
>   SDPort = 9103
>
>   Password = "mysecretpassword"
>
>   Media Type = LTO3                  # must be same as MediaType in
> Storage daemon
>
>   Device = Neo8000
>
>   Autochanger = yes                   # enable for autochanger device
>
>   Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 2
>
> }
>

> Storage {
>
>   Name = Neo8000-LTO4
>
>   Address = 192.168.3.18 # N.B. Use a fully qualified name here
>
>   SDPort = 9103
>
>   Password = " mysecretpassword "
>
>   Media Type = LTO4                  # must be same as MediaType in
> Storage daemon
>
>   Device = Neo8000
>
>   Autochanger = yes                   # enable for autochanger device

Media type is completely arbitrary. If you want the new drive to be able
to share media with the old drive, you should use the same media type.
If not, you should have them be different. It would be best if you could
make a supported media type list, to allow for backward compatible
drives, but that's not possible at present.

- --