Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] weekly backups

2008-12-15 14:36:49
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] weekly backups
From: "John Drescher" <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Blake Irvin" <irvin AT vivisimo DOT com>, bacula-users AT lists.sf DOT net
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 14:34:29 -0500
On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 1:36 PM, Blake Irvin <irvin AT vivisimo DOT com> wrote:
> I'm attempting something very simple with Bacula that has not worked
> correctly yet.  I've decided I need to start from scratch.
>
> Here are my goals:
>

> I want to back up to a rotation of 4 1tb hard drives over the course
> of 4 weeks.
>
> I want a full backup every Sunday, and incrementals every day after
> until I change disks on Monday morning.
>
> I want each disk to be re-used when necessary (that is, I don't need
> to keep any backup longer than a month).
>

> What's the best configuration to make this happen with Bacula?  A high-
> level example should be enough to get me started, since I'm familiar
> with the basics of Bacula configuration.

I do not have the time to provide a full example. But I can help.

The key is with the schedule to make only 1 job and multiple run= statements.

And then defining the volume usage limits so that your volumes become
Full or Used. Remember that volume retention does not start until a
volume is marked Full or Used.

http://bacula.org/en/rel-manual/Basic_Volume_Management.html#SECTION002611000000000000000

John