Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] dbcheck takes enormous time

2008-12-15 08:06:07
Subject: [Bacula-users] dbcheck takes enormous time
From: Tilman Schmidt <t.schmidt AT phoenixsoftware DOT de>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 14:01:36 +0100
Prompted by several postings here on the list I thought it might be a
good idea to run dbcheck on my Bacula DB and see what it will find.
But tests 9 (orphaned Path records) and 10 (orphaned Filename records)
are inacceptably long to complete.

Configuration: dual Intel Pentium 4, 1 GB RAM, Linux 2.6.22.13,
running Bacula 2.2.8 director with MySQL database
and Bacula 2.2.8 storage daemon driving an LTO-1 tape drive,
doing daily backups for 12 servers for a total data volume of about
70 GB. The catalog size reported by the catalog backup job is 300 MB.

When started individually, dbcheck tests 3-8 and 11-15 run rather
quickly (at most a few minutes). Check 9 finally completed after
about 15 hours, pushing the nightly backup into the day and causing
a lot of complaints. Check 10 has been running over the weekend for
40 hours now with no sign of getting anywhere. During that time,
top shows mysqld constantly at 100% CPU while the second processor
is basically idle.

Is that normal? If so, how can I check my database without disrupting
my regular backup cycle? If not, how can I find out what's wrong?

aTdHvAaNnKcSe

--
Tilman Schmidt
Phoenix Software GmbH