Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] volume management on a storage File

2008-12-08 14:45:58
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] volume management on a storage File
From: "Lukasz Szybalski" <szybalski AT gmail DOT com>
To: "John Drescher" <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 13:43:27 -0600
On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 1:15 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
wrote:
>> Would anybody have a link to sample configuration for "practical"
>> example on volumes. I would like to setup one volume for fully, one
>> for differential, and one for daily. I read that is a recommended way.
>>  I've checked the "basic volume management" docs but it has a
>> different example, and I'm not sure how to setup volumes/pools to do
>> what I need.
>>

> The most important thing is limiting the volume size so you have many
> multiple volumes. I recommend at least 5 but 20 will not hurt
> performance. Although I am primary using tapes for backup, I use 2 to
> 10 GB volumes with my disk based volumes and I have around 15 volumes
> allocated for this. Remember the retention period begins only after
> the volume is marked full or used. So with smaller volumes (but still
> a few GB) the volume will fill up faster and thus the retention period
> will start sooner.

This makes sens, and it keeps my configuration simple..

As far as configuration then:
1. I should copy my 'default' pool definition and create a new one by adding:

Maximum Volumes = 20
Volume Retention = 365 days
Maximum Volume Bytes = 25 GB
Label Format = 'Volumes'  (should I pick a different name/ format)
(also add label media = yes in a device)

Anything else?

2. Tomorrow if the full backup succeeded how do I get rid of the old
volume so that bacula knows about it and doesn't try to access it
later.

Thanks,
Lucas

--