Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Prune, Purge or Update

2008-12-04 15:28:27
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Prune, Purge or Update
From: C M Reinehr <cmr AT amsent DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 14:25:55 -0600
Ken,

On Wed 03 December 2008 21:33, Ken Barclay wrote:
> I have a serious problem looming.  Next week I will run out of tapes, and
> new tapes won't arrive until next month.  What I plan to do is to make a
> Full volume in each Pool useable again, but I'm not really sure what is
> the best method.  Obviously, I'm going to lose the existing data from the
> Full volume, but that will better than doing no backups for a month.
>
> I need some advice as to whether I should:
>
>                 prune volume

Pruning a volumn, whether automatic or manual, will delete/purge from the
catalog job & file records which are beyond their retention periods. If all
job & file records for the volume are deleted/purged from the catalog, then
the status of the volume will be changed to Purged.

>                 purge volume, or

Purge will delete/purge all job & file records from the catalog irregardless
of their retention periods. The volume status will be changed to Purged.

>                 update volume Volume Status

Obviously, you could manually change the status of a volume to Purged without
the volume having first been prunned or manually purged. I'm not sure what
will happen but I'm afraid that your catalog would be left in an inconsistant
state,i.e., job & file records would still be in the catalog even though they
no longer are physically on the volume. (I suspect that you would have to run
dbcheck to repair the inconsistancy.)

> Any advice would be appreciated.

If I understand your situation correctly, then manually purging a volume would
be the best course of action.

> Ken Barclay

HTH

cmr
--
Debian 'Etch' - Registered Linux User #241964
--------