Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula hang waiting for storage

2008-12-02 15:28:31
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula hang waiting for storage
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik AT iki DOT fi>
To: Nils Blanck-Wehde <nils.blanck-wehde AT backofficeservice DOT biz>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 22:25:40 +0200
On Tue, Dec 02, 2008 at 08:25:32PM +0100, Nils Blanck-Wehde wrote:
> Julien, hi Pasi,
>
> it looks like we have similar problems. But to be honest I have no real
> clue whats causing them. Right now it could be anything from a HBA
> driver problem to a bug in bacula.
>
> I will just give you some details about our setup so maybe we can find
> similarities.

Hmm.. IIRC I haven't seen any kernel errors, but I'll have to re-check..

> I just looked in my old system log. One time the "Error writing final
> EOF" happened, I got the following kernel message:
>
>     scsi 2:0:5:1: scsi: Device offlined - not ready after error recovery
>
> The exact text of this messages seems to come from the adaptec aic7xxx
> kernel module so if you use another host controller, the message may vary.
> You will find the complete snip of my syslog attached.
>
> Our System Setup:
> bacula 2.4.2 (fschwarz EL5 rpms) on CentOS 5.2 (kernel
> 2.6.18-92.1.10.el5 #1 SMP Tue Aug 5 07:41:53 EDT 2008 i686 i686 i386
> GNU/Linux)
> We are using a Quantum Superloader 3 DLT connected to an Adaptec 29160LP
> PCI64 controller sitting in a 32bit PCI slot. Our backup server has a
> Jetway VIA C7 MiniITX Board. Due to the 1U chassis the HBA sits in a 90°
> PCI riser card. I think that the risercard COULD lead to timing problems
> but I am not sure.
>
> If you guys use a similar setup we might be able to narrow the
> phenomenon down.

I'm currently running Bacula 2.5.19 on CentOS 5.2 x86.

I have seen this problem when I run 'copy from disk pool to tape'-jobs..
not sure if it happens with normal backup-to-tape jobs too.

What kind of jobs are you running when it happens?

Have you been running/using some other backup software on the same hardware?

Do you guys know which tools could be used to check/verity the tape drive?
btape?

-- Pasi