Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Improving catalog performance

2008-11-27 12:33:36
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Improving catalog performance
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 18:30:31 +0100
Hi,

27.11.2008 18:04, Kelly, Brian wrote:
> Arno,
>
> I've been studying different options for improving my database performance.
>
> After reading your recommendations on improving catalog performance.
>
> "There are two rather simple solutions:
> - Don't keep file information for this job in the catalog. This makes
> restoring single mails difficult.
> - Tune your catalog database for faster inserts. That can mean moving
> it to a faster machine, assigning more memory for it, or dropping some
> indexes (during inserts). If you're not yet using batch inserts, try
> to recompile Bacula with batch-inserts enabled."
>
> Could you elaborate on how to:
>
> 1. Not keep file information for particular jobs in the catalog.

In the pool definition, use "Catalog files=No". I guess it's a good
idea to use a separate pool for this type of jobs :-)

> 2. How does one drop an index during inserts?

A bit more difficult... the simple solution is to simply drop the
index from the database.

Alternatively, you could use a run before job script to drop the
index, and a run after job script to re-create it (I never tried
this). Often, creating an index newly is much faster than adding the
data for it one by one, as table entries arrive...

Arno

> Thanks,
>
> Brian Kelly

Arno Lehmann