Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Large maildir backup

2008-11-27 05:33:55
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Large maildir backup
From: Boris Kunstleben <b.kunstleben AT onoffice DOT de>
To: Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 11:31:01 +0100
Hi,

i am doing exactly that since last Thursday.
I have about 1.6TB in Maildirs and an huge number of small files. I have to say
it is awfull slow. Backing up a directory with about 190GB of Maildirs took
"Elapsed time: 1 day 14 hours 49 mins 34 secs".
On the other hand i have a server with Documents and images (about 700GB) took
much less time.
All the Servers are virtuall Enviroments (Virtuozzo).

Any Ideas would be appreciated.

Kind regards Boris Kunstleben

Silver Salonen schrieb:
> On Thursday 27 November 2008 11:07:41 James Cort wrote:
>
>> Silver Salonen wrote:

>>> I think Bacula is quite good for backing up maildirs as they constist of
>>> separate files as e-mail messages. I don't think small files are a
>>>
> problem.
>
>> I don't think they're a problem either and I also backup a maildir-based
>> mail server.
>>
>> However, one thing you may want to be aware of - unless you take
>> specific steps to avoid it, the maildirs on tape won't necessarily be in
>> a consistent state.  Obviously this won't affect your IMAP server - but
>> it does mean that when you restore, metadata like whether or not emails
>> have been read or replied to and recently received/sent email won't be a
>> perfect snapshot of how the mailserver looked at any given point in time.
>>

> And when you have many incrementals in a row while restoring, you end up
> seeing many duplicate messages, that have been deleted or moved during these
> incrementals.
>
> It'll be better in Bacula 3.0, I guess :)
>
> --
> Silver

onOffice Software GmbH
Feldstr. 40