Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Windows XP networking dies

2008-11-25 06:51:07
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Windows XP networking dies
From: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
To: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 11:48:12 +0000 (GMT)
On Mon, 24 Nov 2008, Josh Fisher wrote:

> I ran into this with a couple of Vista laptops, and also with a
> nForce430 chipset XP machine. I have found it is not uncommon for
> Windows NIC drivers to be buggy.

Not just Windows.

We found that 3com Torando/Vortex/Boomerang family cards will start
barfing all over the network(*) under high loads under Linux (especially
on older(**) boxes with high NFS traffic)

This also happened (but nowhere near as badly) with cheap and nasty 1Gb/s
NE2k NICs (realtek R8193) I dropped in as replacements.

(*) Not jabbering, but traffic from the NIC starts appearing on all
network ports, somehow becoming unswitchable. This appears to be a Linux
networking stack issue.

(**) P3-600-1Ghz and early P4s