Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Windows XP networking dies

2008-11-24 13:01:14
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Windows XP networking dies
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: Jason Dixon <jdixon AT omniti DOT com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 12:50:15 -0500
Jason Dixon wrote:
> We have three XP SP2 workstations that all have scheduled Bacula jobs.
> Two of them run fine.  The third one "loses networking" every Friday
> during the FULL backup job.  When it enters this state you can no longer
> ping the box or perform any networking functionality.
> Disabling/re-enabling the interface doesn't help.  The only remedy is to
> reboot the box.
>
> Has anyone encountered this with XP before?  Is it possibly a
> combination of software that is causing the issue (e.g. AVG)?  Any known
> workarounds?

This is almost certainly either a buggy NIC driver or a hardware
(NIC/switch/cable) problem. If all three XP machines have the same NIC
and driver version, then it's probably hardware. Otherwise, my guess is
the NIC driver. During a full backup, Bacula, naturally, places a heavy
load on the NIC, and so Bacula will definitely reveal any underlying
network problems. I ran into this with a couple of Vista laptops, and
also with a nForce430 chipset XP machine. I have found it is not
uncommon for Windows NIC drivers to be buggy.