Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Newbee questions client/server + GUI

2008-11-17 07:44:52
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Newbee questions client/server + GUI
From: "Eitan Talmi" <eitant AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Johnny SSH" <samankaya AT netscape DOT net>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 14:42:33 +0200

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 2:21 PM, Johnny SSH <samankaya AT netscape DOT net> wrote:

Hi,

I hope someone can help me, I have a network with a few servers (3) and
clients (5) which use the Linux platform. I have managed to find out how to
connect multiple clients to the system and have them backed up!! :-)

I use a Debian Etch based server which is the main server and also doubles
up as the backup server, using a second HD for backups.

For this I use a 500GB HD, but as the drives of the client machines are
large I have to select which part of the file systems will be backed up.

Please bare with me if these questions seem trivial but I have checked the
Bacula wiki and searched Google too for answers with no results.

My questions are as follows:

1. In the director I have created a few clients and jobs for those clients
with multiple filesets. To be able to restore the individual filesets to
each machine do I need to create individual restore jobs?

No, one restore job is ok

Currently the restore set is the default template:

[# Standard Restore template, to be changed by Console program
#  Only one such job is needed for all Jobs/Clients/Storage ...]

However I'm assuming this will only backup what is set as the default
fileset?

2. For my multiple clients do I need to use multiple pools or will 1 pool
store data for each machine individually?

I am using one pool for each client

3. Can I restore individual files with Bacula? Say for example server 5 lost
a config file /etc/program/conf.config is there a way to restore just that
one file and not the whole file system? Also is there a way to view the
files in the database?

You can restore one file only
To view the files use the bconsole and then choose restore and during the process you will be asked what do you want to restore, and you will be able to see the files

4. I am confused between the GUI's of Bacula, on the wiki it says that there
is something called bat. How can I obtain this and what command do I need to
issue to view it? (my servers don't have GUI's so I will need to do this via
a remote X session through SSH!)

I am using the Webmin, you can manage the Bacula from any machine on your network

5. This maybe obsolete if it refers to Q4. however bconsole has a graphical
mode it says from the man and help pages. What command do I need to run
this?

6. Out of the GUI's mentioned can anyone view the backed up files of the
machines in the pool as a list say?  If not is there something that can? I
have installed Bacula-web however it only shows statistics of backups and
not actually 'what' has been backed up!

you can use the webmin or the bconsole for that

Many thanks for any replies, sorry so many questions but they are specific
and I am really new to client/server backups even with the previous reading
I've done to get this far!

Kaya

Eitan