Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Newbee questions client/server + GUI

2008-11-17 07:24:06
Subject: [Bacula-users] Newbee questions client/server + GUI
From: Johnny SSH <samankaya AT netscape DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 04:21:40 -0800 (PST)
Hi,

I hope someone can help me, I have a network with a few servers (3) and
clients (5) which use the Linux platform. I have managed to find out how to
connect multiple clients to the system and have them backed up!! :-)

I use a Debian Etch based server which is the main server and also doubles
up as the backup server, using a second HD for backups.

For this I use a 500GB HD, but as the drives of the client machines are
large I have to select which part of the file systems will be backed up.

Please bare with me if these questions seem trivial but I have checked the
Bacula wiki and searched Google too for answers with no results.

My questions are as follows:

1. In the director I have created a few clients and jobs for those clients
with multiple filesets. To be able to restore the individual filesets to
each machine do I need to create individual restore jobs?

Currently the restore set is the default template:

[# Standard Restore template, to be changed by Console program
#  Only one such job is needed for all Jobs/Clients/Storage ...]

However I'm assuming this will only backup what is set as the default
fileset?

2. For my multiple clients do I need to use multiple pools or will 1 pool
store data for each machine individually?

3. Can I restore individual files with Bacula? Say for example server 5 lost
a config file /etc/program/conf.config is there a way to restore just that
one file and not the whole file system? Also is there a way to view the
files in the database?

4. I am confused between the GUI's of Bacula, on the wiki it says that there
is something called bat. How can I obtain this and what command do I need to
issue to view it? (my servers don't have GUI's so I will need to do this via
a remote X session through SSH!)

5. This maybe obsolete if it refers to Q4. however bconsole has a graphical
mode it says from the man and help pages. What command do I need to run
this?

6. Out of the GUI's mentioned can anyone view the backed up files of the
machines in the pool as a list say?  If not is there something that can? I
have installed Bacula-web however it only shows statistics of backups and
not actually 'what' has been backed up!

Many thanks for any replies, sorry so many questions but they are specific
and I am really new to client/server backups even with the previous reading
I've done to get this far!

Kaya