Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Problems appending to a Tape

2008-11-12 18:48:35
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Problems appending to a Tape
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 00:46:01 +0100
Hi,

13.11.2008 00:11, Joerg Wunsch wrote:
> As Russell Sutherland wrote:
>
>> When trying to write/append some data to an existing labelled and
>> mounted tape I get:
>>
>> *messages
>> 12-Nov 16:56 backup-sd JobId 12120: Job
>> backup-data.2008-11-12_16.56.30 waiting. Cannot find any appendable
>> volumes.
>
> Looks quite close to a similar problem I've got recently.  I did have
> some issues with my autoloader script (mainly since I normally want to
> power off the loader while it's not in use, so the power cycling had
> to be put into run before / run after scripts), which eventually
> caused autoloader errors (mechanical positioning error and such).
> These errors, in turn, appear to block the bacula-sd from accessing
> the drive.
>
> Issue a "status sd" command in bconsole, and have a look a the drive
> status.
>
> My remaining question about this still is: how to unblock a drive
> /without/ restarting bacula-sd?

Well, that depends on the sort of block you encounter.

If it's the SD aving trouble accessing a drive, issuing one or more
'mount' commands usually work for me.

Sometimes you might need an explicit 'umount'. If that doesn't work
because, for example, a tape drive can't be unloaded due to stuck
hardware, use 'release'.

If you've got to power-cycle a tape drive or tape changer, that can
usually be done without problems. Depending on your OS, when the
device is available again, you might need to notify the OS of the
newly available hardware, or trigger creation of the device files.
It's even possible you have to manually move around some device files
- for example, if the tape is known as /dev/nst0, and that entry still
exists after power-cycling the tape drive, but the tape drive now is
known as /dev/nst1.

Good luck :-)

Arno

--