Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Problems appending to a Tape

2008-11-12 18:14:09
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Problems appending to a Tape
From: Joerg Wunsch <j AT uriah.heep.sax DOT de>
To: Russell Sutherland <russ AT quist DOT ca>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 00:11:58 +0100
As Russell Sutherland wrote:

> When trying to write/append some data to an existing labelled and
> mounted tape I get:
>
> *messages
> 12-Nov 16:56 backup-sd JobId 12120: Job
> backup-data.2008-11-12_16.56.30 waiting. Cannot find any appendable
> volumes.

Looks quite close to a similar problem I've got recently.  I did have
some issues with my autoloader script (mainly since I normally want to
power off the loader while it's not in use, so the power cycling had
to be put into run before / run after scripts), which eventually
caused autoloader errors (mechanical positioning error and such).
These errors, in turn, appear to block the bacula-sd from accessing
the drive.

Issue a "status sd" command in bconsole, and have a look a the drive
status.

My remaining question about this still is: how to unblock a drive
/without/ restarting bacula-sd?