Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] offsite backup question

2008-11-12 06:24:46
Subject: [Bacula-users] offsite backup question
From: John Fitzpatrick <jfitzpatrick AT altobridge DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 11:05:46 +0000 (GMT)

Hi everyone,

I have been running nightly backups using a single pool of 19 volumes. The schedule is for
Schedule {
  Name = "WeeklyCycle"
  Run = Full 1st sat at 23:05
  Run = Differential 2nd-5th sat at 23:05
  Run = Incremental mon-fri at 23:05
}

What i want to do is take tapes offsite once a month and what I did was to create a new pool
Pool {
  Name = Offsite_Backup
  Pool Type = Backup
  Recycle = yes                       # Bacula can automatically recycle Volumes
  AutoPrune = yes                     # Prune expired volumes
  Volume Retention = 30 days         # one year
  Accept Any Volume = yes             # write on any volume in the pool
  Cleaning Prefix = LTC
}

then added 2 tapes to it and ran the jobs associated with each client
Job {
  Name = "ie-serv-2_backup"
  Type = Backup
  Level = Incremental
  Client = ie-serv-2-fd
  FileSet = "ie-serv-2 Full Set"
  Schedule = "WeeklyCycle"
  Storage = PV128T
  Messages = Standard
  Pool = Servers_Nightly
  Priority = 10
  Write Bootstrap = "/var/bacula/ie-serv-2.bsr"
}

modifying the Type to Full

This seemed fine and the usual scheduled backup ran as expected

So I removed the tapes for offsite, put the other 2 back in and restarted bacula.

Tested a backup and it keeps asking for the two offsite tapes which is alright now as I have them on my desk but how should I be doing this?

was thinking define another job for offsite with new bootstrap but then what about the catalog I only have one, can I create another?

All comments welcome.

regard,
John